The following is a brief history of Saint Charles taken from the June 1978 comprehensive plan:
the year 1863 President Brigham Young called General Charles C. Rich to
company to settle
The valley was explored as afar south as Fish Haven is now. It was agreed that the county had hayland enough to furnish hay for the stock, plenty of fish and game for food and a soil and climate that would produce the hardier grains and vegetables.
Rich returned to
Young decided that
At hat time this valley was claimed by the Shoshone and Bannock Indians for a summer hunting and camping place. The Utes would come each year to meet these bands to trade for furs and robes. Some of the Indians were friendly and others were very hostile. At times trains of emigrants were entirely wiped out, women and children stolen and men and boys murdered by the Indians. But Washakie, the chief of the Shoshone tribe, and Tighe, the chief of the Bannocks were very friendly with Brigham Young and the Mormon people.
Rich consulted with these two chiefs, explaining to them that Brigham
desired him to open up the
the spring of 1864, seven hundred people seeking for homes arrived in
valley, settled in
a town meeting held in Paris, President Brigham Young stood on the
his wagon and delivered a sermon in which he told General Charles Rich
eight miles south of Paris and make a settlement which he should name
Charles after himself. He also said that
A company then came up to St. Charles, among them were Sam Arnell and wife, Robert Pope, Charles Keetch, Wm. M. Allred and family, J. A. Hunt, George and Jonathan Pugmire, John Windley and wife, Frank Robbins and wife, Lafe Pierce, Ariah Cahphin, Ann Sanderson and son Swan, and Wm. G. Young, some of whom came on May 1, and others on May 15, 1864. They camped on little creek near the mill hill where they broke ground and planted a small truck garden.
wanted to divide the land but having no surveying instruments, Mr.
Mr. Windley surveyed the land by the use of a rope, two poles and the
Star. They did so by driving one of the poles in the ground and at
sighted it to the North Star. They then drove the other pole the
wanted it and this way measured off the land in twenty-acre lots. Mr.
planted three acres of his land in wheat. This was the first grain
During the first few years most of the grain raised in the valley was so frost bitten that it could hardly be eaten, but since this was all they had it was necessary to eat it or go hungry. For along time the cricket and the grasshoppers were numerous and took many of the crops. They had to harvest the grain with a cradle and the hay with a scythe.
There being no gristmills, the first wheat was ground in coffee mills fasted to benches. They usually ground each night enough wheat to make their bread for the next day.
In the summer the men made roads to the canyon to get logs for the building of houses.
Each man was given only a half lot on main street so that the masses could be close together in time of danger.
A corral was built where the tithing office now stands. Each night the cattle were driven into the corral and men took turns standing guard.
first mill was built in
Most of the pioneers lived in log houses, tents or dugouts during the first year.
was held in the home of Mr. Wm. A. Allfred located where the home of
Pugmire is now. John C. Stewart was the first constable. Wm. M. Allred
first court clerk, and Neils Wilhelmson the first justice of the peace.
Wilhemson was also the first missionary to be called from
first store was owned by Jonathan Pugmire. At that time tea was sold at
dollars a pound. The first bushel of potatoes was purchased in